Sale! MUHAMMAD ALI - CASSIUS CLAY - Classic Collectible Gents Wrist Watch

Muhammad Ali / Cassius - Classic Collectible Solid Brass Boxing Art Wrist Watch


New product

  • impressive 40 mm solid brass casing with stainless steel back
  • premium 2040 quartz movement.
  • original parchment art acrylic dial
  • waterproof bracelet with brass buckle
  • 1 year warranty

More details




Add to wishlist

More info

Originally known as Cassius Clay, at the age of 22 he won the world heavyweight championship from Sonny Liston. Ali changed his name after joining the Nation of Islam in 1964, subsequently converting to Sunni Islam in 1975. In 1967, three years after Ali had won the heavyweight championship, he was publicly vilified for his refusal to be conscripted into the U.S. military, based on his religious beliefs and opposition to the Vietnam War. His 1966 statement, "Man, I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong", was one of the more telling remarks of that era.

Ali was eventually arrested and found guilty on draft evasion charges; he was stripped of his boxing title, and his boxing license was suspended. He was not imprisoned, but did not fight again for nearly four years while his appeal worked its way up to the U.S. Supreme Court, where it was eventually successful.

Ali would go on to become the first and only three-time lineal World Heavyweight Champion.

Nicknamed "The Greatest," Ali was involved in several historic boxing matches.[6] Notable among these were three with rival Joe Frazier, which are considered among the greatest in boxing history, and one with George Foreman, where he finally regained his stripped titles seven years later. Ali was well known for his unorthodox fighting style, epitomized by his catchphrase "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee", and employing techniques such as the Ali Shuffle and the rope-a-dope. Ali brought beauty and grace to the most uncompromising of sports and through the wonderful excesses of skill and character, he became the most famous athlete in the world.[8] He was also known for his pre-match hype, where he would "trash talk" opponents, often with rhymes.

In 1999, Ali was crowned "Sportsman of the Century" by Sports Illustrated and "Sports Personality of the Century" by the BBC.

Early life

Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr., was born on January 17, 1942, in Louisville, Kentucky. The older of two boys, he was named after his father, Cassius Marcellus Clay, Sr., who was named after the 19th century abolitionist and politician of the same name. His father painted billboards and signs, and his mother, Odessa O'Grady Clay, was a household domestic. Although Cassius Sr. was a Methodist, he allowed Odessa to bring up both Cassius and his younger brother Rudolph "Rudy" Clay (later renamed Rahman Ali) as Baptists. He is a descendant of pre-Civil War era American slaves in the American South, and is predominantly of African-American descent, with Irish and English ancestry.

Clay was first directed toward boxing by Louisville police officer and boxing coach Joe E. Martin,[14] who encountered the 12-year-old fuming over a thief taking his bicycle. He told the officer he was going to "whup" the thief. The officer told him he better learn how to box first. For the last four years of Clay's amateur career he was trained by legendary boxing cutman Chuck Bodak.

Clay won six Kentucky Golden Gloves titles, two national Golden Gloves titles, an Amateur Athletic Union National Title, and the Light Heavyweight gold medal in the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome. Clay's amateur record was 100 wins with five losses. Shortly after his return home from Rome following the Olympics, Ali would claim in his 1975 autobiography that he threw his medal into the Ohio River after he and a friend of his were being refused service at a "whites-only" restaurant, and fighting with a white gang. However, two years later, in the 1977 biopic, The Greatest, a film scene depicting the medal-throwing incident only has Ali being forced out of the diner due to his race quickly cutting to the scene where Clay threw the medal into the river in disgust. Ali brought up the latter story of events in later years in interviews. Both stories have been heavily debated and several of Ali's friends from photographer Howard Bingham and Bundini Brown disputed this story calling it false, with Brown later telling Sports Illustrated writer Mark Kram, "Honkies sure bought into that one!"

It was stated that Ali kept his medal until "the gold rubbed off". This incident is not mentioned in Thomas Hauser's own official biography of Ali, who confirmed that Ali was refused service at the diner but said he lost his medal a year after he won it. Ali later received a replacement medal at a basketball intermission during the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, where he lit the torch to start the games.

Boxing career

Early career

Clay made his professional debut on October 29, 1960, winning a six-round decision over Tunney Hunsaker. From then until 1963, Clay amassed a record of 19-0 with 15 wins by knockout. He defeated boxers including Tony Esperti, Jim Robinson, Donnie Fleeman, Alonzo Johnson, George Logan, Willi Besmanoff, Lamar Clark, Doug Jones and Henry Cooper.

Clay was knocked down twice during this early run by Sonny Banks and Henry Cooper. The Cooper fight was stopped due to deep cuts in Cooper's eyes in the fifth round. Clay also beat his former trainer and veteran boxer Archie Moore in a 1962 match. After Clay left Moore's camp in 1960 partially due to Clay refusing to do chores such as dishwashing and sweeping, he hired Angelo Dundee, whom he had met in February of 1957 during Ali's amateur career, to be his trainer. Around this time, Clay sought longtime idol Sugar Ray Robinson to be his manager, but was rebuffed. A disputed ten-round decision over Doug Jones was later named "Fight of the Year" in 1963.

Ali had amassed a record of 19–0, with 15 knockouts and became the top contender for Sonny Liston's title. The fight was set for February 25, 1964 in Miami. Despite his record, the Ali was a 7-1 underdog. During the weigh-in on the day before the bout, the ever-boastful Clay, who frequently taunted Liston during the buildup by dubbing him "the big ugly bear" (among other things), declared that he would "float like a butterfly and sting like a bee," and, summarizing his strategy for avoiding Liston's assaults, said, "Your hands can't hit what your eyes can't see." At the pre-fight weigh-in, Clay's pulse rate was around 120, more than double his norm of 54. Liston, among others, thought this stemmed from nervousness.

Heavyweight Champion

Ali in 1967

Clay and Liston fought for six rounds in their first title fight, with Clay dominating most of the rounds, except in round four when it was alleged Clay had trouble seeing due to a substance in his eyes. Though not confirmed that this happened to Clay, Bert Sugar claimed that at least two of Liston's opponents complained about their eyes 'burning'", suggesting a possibility that Liston's corner was deliberately attempting to cheat.

Despite Liston's attempts to knock Clay out in the fifth, Clay was able to escape Liston's offense until sweat and tears rinsed the substance from his eyes, leading to Clay to respond back with a flurry of combinations near the end of the fifth round. During the sixth round, Clay dominated Liston throughout. When Liston refused to answer the bell for the seventh round, Clay was declared the winner. Liston would later claim he had injured his shoulder. Following the win, a triumphant Clay rushed to the press stands, pointing to them and screaming "I fooled you!" During the now-infamous in-ring interview following the match, Clay shouted "I shook up the world!" and "I must be 'The Greatest'!" When Clay won, he became the youngest boxer to take the title from a reigning heavyweight champion at just 22; though Floyd Patterson was the youngest to win the heavyweight championship at 21, it was during an elimination bout following Rocky Marciano's retirement. Mike Tyson later broke the records for both Clay and Patterson in 1986 at 20 during his fight with Trevor Berbick.

Clay, now having changed his name to Muhammad Ali following his Islam conversion, and Liston met up for their rematch in May the following year. Midway through the first round, Liston was knocked down by one of Ali's punches, later dubbed by the press as the "phantom punch". Referee Jersey Joe Walcott stopped the match shortly afterwards and Ali was declared the winner around 1:52 of the first round. Rumors speculated that Liston dropped to the ground purposely due to threats from NOI extremists, or "threw" the fight to pay off debts, waiting to be counted out.

Ali's second title defense was against Floyd Patterson. The bout was alleged to have been brutal due to Patterson's refusal to call Ali by his Muslim name. Throughout the fight, Ali taunted Patterson by shouting "what's my name" to him. It's alleged that Patterson may have strained his sacroiliac, which made it difficult for him to escape Ali's punches. Ali and then-WBA heavyweight champion boxer Ernie Terrell had agreed to meet for a bout in Chicago on March 29, 1966 but the Illinois Athletic Commission refused to host the fight due to Ali's Vietnam War statements. Following these bouts, Ali traveled overseas and won championship bouts against George ChuvaloHenry CooperBrian London and Karl Mildenberger. Ali's next fight after his return to the United States was against Cleveland Williams in the Houston Astrodome. According to Sports Illustrated, the bout drew a then-indoor world record of 35,460. Ali ended up beating Williams in three rounds, with Bert Sugar calling it Ali's greatest ring performance.[25] Williams was recovering from being shot at point-blank range by a Texas policeman a year and a half before, resulting in him entering the fight missing one kidney and 10 feet (3.0 m) of his small intestine, and with a shriveled left leg from nerve damage from the bullet that was still lodged in his body.

Ali and Terrell finally met in Houston to face off on February 6, 1967. Like Patterson before, Terrell would defy Ali's order to call him by his Muslim name. As a result, Ali set off on humiliating Terrell, shouting, "What's my name, Uncle Tom... what's my name?" Terrell later alleged that Ali had rubbed his thumbs on Terrell's eyes, causing problems. Critics described the fight as "one of the ugliest boxing fights". Tex Maule later wrote: "It was a wonderful demonstration of boxing skill and a barbarous display of cruelty." Despite this, Ali denied he intended to harm Terrell on purpose nor did he feel he was cruel to Terrell during the bout. His final title defense would be against Zora Folley a month later. Following this, Ali's title would be stripped after his refusal to be drafted to Army service, resulting in his boxing license being suspended and later being sentenced to five years for evasion.

Comeback from exile

With his case still in appeal, Ali returned to the ring after winning a boxing license in Atlanta on August 12, 1970, thanks to State Senator Leroy R. Johnson, where he was granted a license to box by the City of Atlanta Athletic Commission. Ali's first return bout was against Jerry Quarryon October 26, resulting in a win after three rounds. Following this, the New York State Boxing Commission reinstated Ali's license to fight there and Ali fought against Oscar Bonavena at Madison Square Garden in December 1970, knocking him out technically during the 15th round, leaving him as a top contender against heavyweight champion Joe Frazier.

Ali and Frazier's first fight, held at the Garden on May 8, 1971, was nicknamed the "Fight of the Century", due to the hyped antics in their pre-fight. After being knocked down during the 15th round, Ali eventually suffered his first professional boxing loss afterwards from the fight. The boxer then returned with bouts against Quarry, a second bout with Floyd Patterson and Bob Foster in 1972, winning a total of six fights that year. In 1973, Ali suffered another loss at the hands of Ken Norton, who broke Ali's jaw during the fight, though it's contested which round he broke it, with Angelo Dundee later claiming Ali broke it in the second round, while others, including Norton, stated Ali broke it much later in the fight. After initially seeking retirement, Ali won against Norton in their second bout, leading to his second fight with Frazier, with Ali this time winning on points in their January 12, 1974 rematch.

Heavyweight Champion (second tenure)

During the fight, beginning in the second round, Ali retreated to the ropes the ropes, inviting Foreman to hit him while counterpunching and verbally taunting the younger man. Ali leaned on the ropes and covered up as Foreman threw punches that were deflected and didn't land squarely. Midway through, when Foreman began tiring, Ali countered with punches and some flurries. This practice would later become known as the "Rope-A-Dope". In the eighth, Ali dropped Foreman with a combination at center ring and Foreman failed to make the count. Against the odds, Ali had regained the title.

Ali's next opponents included Chuck Wepner, who stunned Ali with a knockdown in the ninth round – Ali would later said he tripped on Wepner's foot; Ron Lyle and Joe Bugner. Ali agreed to a third match with Joe Frazier in Manila. The bout, titled "The Thrilla in Manila", was held on October 1, 1975. The fight lasted fourteen grueling rounds in temperatures approaching 100 °F (38 °C). The fight was stopped when Frazier was unable to answer the bell for the 15th and final round (his eyes were swollen shut). Frazier's trainer, Eddie Futch, refused to allow Frazier to continue. An ailing Ali said afterwards that the last Frazier fight "was the closest thing to dying that I know" and cited Frazier as "the greatest fighter of all times next to me."


Ali being interviewed by WBAL-TV's Curt Anderson, 1978, Baltimore, Maryland.

Following the bout, Ali fought against Jean-Pierre CoopmanJimmy Young and Richard Dunn, with the latter bout being the final bout in which Ali scored by knockout. Later in 1976, Ali participated in an exhibition bout in Tokyo against Japaneseprofessional wrestler and martial artist Antonio Inoki. Though the fight was noted as a publicity stunt, the fight affected Ali's mobility as he suffered leg bruises throughout the fight due to Inoki's kicks. Ali suffered two blood clots and an infection in the fight, which was ultimately declared a draw. Ali fought against Ken Norton again in their third fight at Yankee Stadium in September of 1976, where Ali won by a heavily contested decision, which led to the audience booing in the ring. Ali reacted to the fallout of this by announcing a brief retirement to practice his faith in Islam, having converted to Sunni Islam after falling out with the Nation of Islam the previous year.

After winning against Alfredo Evangelista in May of 1977, Ali struggled in his next fight to boxer Earnie Shavers that September, who pummeled Ali a few times with punches to the head. Ali later won the fight by another unanimous decision, but the Shavers fight caused Ali's longtime doctor Freddie Pacheco to quit after he was rebuffed for telling Ali he should retire. In February of 1978, Ali faced Leon Spinks, who had a 6-0-1 record going into their first fight at the Superdome in New Orleans, and lost the title by unanimous decision. Ali later won against Spinks by unanimous decision in their rematch eight months later, making him the first heavyweight champion to win the belt three times. Following this win, on July 27, 1979, Ali announced his retirement from boxing. His retirement was short-lived, however, after Ali announced his comeback to face Larry Holmes for the WBA belt in an attempt to win the heavyweight championship an unprecedented fourth time. It was around this time that Ali started struggling with vocal stutters and trembling hands. Ali's rapid decline caused concern and Ali checked himself into the Mayo Clinic for checkup, later declaring him fit to fight. Ali fought against Holmes on October 2, 1980 in Las Vegas with Holmes easily dominating the weakened Ali, who had taken thyroid medication to lose weight though the medication left him visibly tired and short of breath. Ali's trainer Angelo Dundee stopped the fight in the eleventh round, citing the only Ali fight in which the boxer lost by knockout. The Holmes fight is said to have contributed to Ali's Parkinson's syndrome. Despite pleas for retirement, Ali fought one last time on December 21, 1981 in Nassau against Trevor Berbick losing a ten-round decision. Following the bout, Ali announced his retirement.


Professional boxing record[edit]


56 wins (37 knockouts, 19 decisions), 5 losses (4 decisions, 1 KO)[2][199]
No.Res.RecordOpponentTypeRd., TimeDateAgeLocationNotes
61Loss56–5Canada Trevor BerbickUD101981-12-1139 years, 328 daysThe BahamasNassau, Bahamas"Drama in the Bahamas"[200]
60Loss56–4United States Larry HolmesTKO10 (15)1980-10-0238 years, 259 daysUnited States Las Vegas, NVLost The Ring &LinealHeavyweight titles.
For WBC World Heavyweight title.
59Win56–3United States Leon SpinksUD151978-09-1536 years, 241 daysUnited States New Orleans, LAWon WBAThe Ring & LinealHeavyweight titles;
Vacated WBA title on 1979-09-06.
58Loss55–3United States Leon SpinksSD151978-02-1536 years, 29 daysUnited States Las Vegas, NVLost WBCWBA,The Ring & LinealHeavyweight titles.
57Win55–2United States Earnie ShaversUD151977-09-2935 years, 255 daysUnited States New York, N.Y.Retained WBC,WBAThe Ring &LinealHeavyweight titles.
56Win54–2Uruguay Alfredo EvangelistaUD151977-05-1635 years, 119 daysUnited StatesLandover, MDRetained WBC,WBAThe Ring &LinealHeavyweight titles.
55Win53–2United States Ken NortonUD151976-09-2834 years, 255 daysUnited States The Bronx, N.Y.Retained WBC,WBAThe Ring &LinealHeavyweight titles.
54Win52–2United Kingdom Richard DunnTKO5 (15)1976-05-2434 years, 128 daysWest GermanyMunich, West GermanyRetained WBC,WBAThe Ring &LinealHeavyweight titles.
53Win51–2United States Jimmy YoungUD151976-04-3034 years, 104 daysUnited StatesLandover, MDRetained WBC,WBAThe Ring &LinealHeavyweight titles.
52Win50–2Belgium Jean-Pierre CoopmanKO5 (15)1976-02-2034 years, 34 daysPuerto Rico San Juan, Puerto RicoRetained WBC,WBAThe Ring &LinealHeavyweight titles.
51Win49–2United States Joe FrazierTKO14 (15), 0:591975-10-0133 years, 257 daysPhilippinesQuezon City, Philippines"Thrilla in Manila";
Retained WBC,WBA The Ring &LinealHeavyweight titles.
50Win48–2United Kingdom Joe BugnerUD151975-06-3033 years, 164 daysMalaysia Kuala Lumpur, MalaysiaRetained WBC,WBAThe Ring &LinealHeavyweight titles.
49Win47–2United States Ron LyleTKO11 (15)1975-05-1633 years, 119 daysUnited States Las Vegas, NVRetained WBC,WBAThe Ring &LinealHeavyweight titles.
48Win46–2United States Chuck WepnerTKO15 (15), 2:411975-03-2433 years, 66 daysUnited StatesRichfield, OHRetained WBC,WBAThe Ring &LinealHeavyweight titles.
47Win45–2United States George ForemanKO8 (15), 2:581974-10-3032 years, 286 daysZaireKinshasa, Zaire"The Rumble in the Jungle";
Won WBCWBA,The Ring & LinealHeavyweight titles.
46Win44–2United States Joe FrazierUD121974-01-2832 years, 11 daysUnited States New York, N.Y."Ali-Frazier II".
Retained NABFHeavyweight title, vacated later in 1974.
45Win43–2Netherlands Rudie LubbersUD121973-10-2031 years, 276 daysIndonesiaJakarta, Indonesia 
44Win42–2United States Ken NortonSD121973-09-1031 years, 236 daysUnited StatesInglewood, CAWon NABFHeavyweight title.
43Loss41–2United States Ken NortonSD121973-03-3131 years, 73 daysUnited States San Diego, CA&l


No customer reviews for the moment.

Write a review

Muhammad Ali / Cassius - Classic Collectible Solid Brass Boxing Art Wrist Watch

Muhammad Ali / Cassius - Classic Collectible Solid Brass Boxing Art Wrist Watch

  • impressive 40 mm solid brass casing with stainless steel back
  • premium 2040 quartz movement.
  • original parchment art acrylic dial
  • waterproof bracelet with brass buckle
  • 1 year warranty

21 other products in the same category: